Monday, August 9, 2010

First time bolus and Fairy Godmother!

So today was the first time I did an insulin shot before I ate. For the last week or so I've been on a basal 5 unit dose. As well as a low carb diet. My numbers are down from the 550 that I started at, but still not in the normal range, and I am so ready to get it under control! Huzzah! I'm a bit nervous. First I think, "What if I didn't do enough?" and then I think, "What if I did too much?" and so I'm pondering how I feel, and anticipating when I will check my glucose levels.


Anyway. I never thought I would be glad to learn how to jab myself with a needle and shoot myself with insulin. But really, this low carb thing has been......not terrific. Ok, to be honest, it wasn't that bad, and I think I could probably keep it up if I ever need to, but I am so sick of salad. Most salad I really like, it's just that when you only eat salad like 3 meals in a row......bleh. And I know that a 'Low Carb Diet' does not mean eating only salad, it's just that that was always closest and least time consuming. We're still getting our meal planning under control. XD Something that's kinda lame is that we had found some lower carb, cocoa coated almonds, that really are quite good. I took them to the amusement park with me the day after I was diagnosed. I really liked them that day, but after that, they really went downhill. It's like I eat them and my stomach says, "Cocoa Almonds? Diabetes candy." I can't get past the mental block. I associate them too much with the shock of finding out I'm diabetic.

The other thing I wanted to talk about is my.....huh, I really don't know what her real title is......Nurse Practitioner? Her name is Lucinda, which makes me think of the Fairy Godmother Lucinda from the book, Ella Enchanted.

 Awesome book, stupid movie. In the book, Lucinda is a troublesome fairy, but my Lucinda is awesome!!! She had me cracking up! She was so funny and a wealth of knowledge! A very happy wealth of knowledge! It was terrific. She laughed so hard at the things I had written in my blood glucose log (i.e. "well this sucks and I feel like a pin cushion"). And the other lady, Andrea, that I talked to was so nice too! Sometimes in my family circles everyone just wants to tell horror stories about JackBobbyJoe and his son Paco whose distant cousin's cat's son's owner had diabetes and blah blah blah. It was really great to have this two cheerful ladies. Andrea is also a T1. It really made me look forward to my next visits knowing that these two would be the ones I would be seeing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment