Friday, December 31, 2010

PWD's

So at first when I was reading the blogs of the DOC, I wondered why it was so important to some people to be called a PWD (person with diabetes) rather than a diabetic. I mean, I have diabetes, I don't really care if people call me diabetic to describe that I do in fact have this disease. But now over these past few months I've noticed how I've become a conversation topic. Usually by my mom. I've started getting very frustrated when I hear her talking about me and my diabetes to other people who have no need to know about me, period. Diabetes or not. Those are the times that I want to scream, "I AM NOT A DAMN DIABETIC!!! I am a person with diabetes!" Because when those people leave, they don't know that I love to sing, or that I occasionally draw, or that I graduated high school with an Associates degree, or that I love watching Korean dramas, or that I want to own a cake shop. They leave knowing nothing more than that I am a diabetic. And really, they don't care, because they'll just get to go home and eat their food without checking their blood, and counting carbs and injecting insulin. All it was was an interesting conversation about poor so-and-so's daughter who has diabetes and how terrible it must be. Oh and could you please pass the cake? If people want to talk to me about diabetes, great. But I hate just being the diabetic conversation piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment